Dealing with child depression is difficult when you don’t know the right way. As a parent, we agree depression in children cannot be neglected. Their tender stage cannot handle the pressure and trauma most times. It is the parent who needs to find the right cause and help the child tackle the same.
Depression in teens is more difficult to deal with. It is because most teens feel annoyed of even taking support and often fall into wrong habits or company. If your child is depressed, you must follow the tips shared by experienced doctors like Dr. Alejandra Suzuki in Irvine.
Before we discuss the tips to deal with depression in your child, you must also learn the symptoms of the same. These symptoms will help you detect the level of depression at an early stage.
Symptoms of depression in young kids as explained by Dr. Alejandra Suzuki:
- Unable to focus in activities/studies
- Do not feel like socializing
- Feel low on energy
- Feeling of loss of words and thoughts
- Feeling irritable and annoyed
- Short temperament and mood swings
- Having suicidal thoughts
- Feel like crying and venting out often
Top 5 things you can do to help your child with depression:
- Calm down first. Unless you keep calm, you cannot calm your child. You need to have patience. Patience to listen to your child, understand his/her mood swing, and wait for the right time to talk to them.
- Make conversation open. Do not freak out when your child gets irritated or angry at you. You must calmly engage yourself in their situation and find time to converse. Be open to discuss and hear anything with them.
- Be honest to the medical professional. Unless you openly discuss the situation with them, they will not be able to understand your child’s state of mind. Even if the situation is related to you or if the cause is you, you must still talk it out with your doctor.
- Discuss their fears. Find out what troubles them the most and try to create situations or scenarios where they can face their fear confidently. For instance, if they fear a particular subject and it makes them freak out, create an ambiance that can help them find peace and interest in the subject.
- Learn to follow everything that your doctor says coz if you don’t do it, you can’t convince your child to do it either.