Confidence is the key to success. Rhinoplasty which is commonly referred to as a nose job could help you in increasing your confidence. Rhinoplasty is a popular surgical procedure that can help you enhance the beauty aspects of your nose. Although it is done for cosmetic reasons too, but it is not the only reason. Rhinoplasty could be done as a strictly medical procedure where the functional aspect of the nose is to be improved. Let us take a look at rhinoplasty in both these contexts-
Cosmetic appeal enhancement
Plastic surgeries are a common method of modifying your appearance. Whether you look at the numbers for rhinoplasty in Toronto, Canada, or Washington D.C, USA you’ll find out that a nose job is the most frequently carried out procedure. Each year nearly 220,000 rhinoplasties are performed. The kind of procedure that will be carried out will depend majorly on the shape and size of your face and your ethnicity.
These factors are considered because today doctors are more inclined towards giving you an aesthetic appearance and most will shy away if you have an unrealistic demand. The surgeon will perform a face analysis to find the best fit for you.
Common reasons to consider a rhinoplasty could be
- Bump on the nose bridge
- Uneven nostrils
- Old injuries that did not heal as desired.
Medical or functional reasons
Rhinoplasty can improve the function of the nose which leads to an improvement in the quality of life. The nose consists of skin, bone, and cartilage. All these three parts can be corrected using rhinoplasty. There are several medical problems where a rhinoplasty can be helpful these are-
- Diverging septum-Septum is a cartilage that divides the two nostrils. A deviated septum results in an impartial blockage of one nostril. This can cause one nostril to be blocked. In such situations, the person has difficulty in breathing. This can be fixed by a septorhinoplasty.
- Enlarged turbinates-Turbinates are the tissues that line the nasal passage. These are humidifiers and hence can occasionally swell up. In some people the swelling becomes permanent. Breathing can thus be hampered and will require a surgical procedure to be corrected.
- Middle vault narrowing or collapse-The sidewalls or the middle vaults in some people may be so weak that they collapse on inhalation. To treat such patients a spreader graft is used.
- Broken bone-An accidental hit to the bone or eye area can result in the breaking of nasal bones. If the trauma is severe, immediate medical attention is required. The displacement of the bone could be a very dangerous situation and should not be taken lightly.
- Birth defects-Some babies are born with congenital defects that can be corrected using surgical procedures. Defects could be as severe as missing a septum or presence of a tumor or as simple as the presence of bony structure. All of these can be corrected using rhinoplasty.
- Sleep apnea-This can lead to shortness of breath during sleeping. Snorting could be an indicator of the same. This occurs due to structural malformation in the nasal passage.
- Chronic sinusitis-Structural irregularities in the nasal passage can lead to painful sinuses over time. Regular problems in the nasal draining can lead to an increase in the multiplying of bacterial infections with time. Functional rhinoplasty can correct this condition.
- Aging-Just like some defects are present right from birth, a few of them can be due to the advancement in age. Common issues could include the collapse of side walls due to the weakening of the nasal cartilage. A functional rhinoplasty can be of aid to allow you to breathe better.
To sum up- Rhinoplasty can be used to revamp your facial appearance as well as to improve functionality. The two can also be combined to get a better function as well as appearance. The recovery of the surgery is generally quick and will depend upon the surgical procedure. Broadly these are based either on the Endonasal approach where all the incisions will be placed inside the nose or external approach in which the incision will be placed inside the nose as well as on the columella right underneath the nose.