Varicose veins are enlarged veins that appear in the legs. The appearance of varicose veins can be an embarrassment. If the varicose veins appear in your legs, visit doctor Vinod Kumar MD, a specialist specializing in varicose veins in Bakersfield.
To avoid all the complications associated with varicose veins, get diagnosis and treatment from the doctors at Heart Vascular and Leg Center. Before visiting a medical facility, you need to know the symptoms, causes, and treatment of varicose veins.
What causes varicose veins?
Varicose veins are a result of weak vein walls and valves. When the walls of the veins stretch, they may lose their elasticity, making the veins’ valves weaken. Consequently, the valves fail to function properly, causing blood to flow backward. The blood that collects in the vein causes the vein to swell and become large.
Symptoms of Varicose Veins
- If you have varicose veins, there are certain symptoms that will appear on your body.
- The veins appear to be purple or blue.
- Heaviness in the legs.
- Itchiness in the area surrounding the swollen veins.
- Pain in the legs when standing or sitting.
- Burning sensation and swelling in the lower legs.
- Skin discoloration around the veins.
Risk factors for varicose veins
A lot of people do not suffer from varicose veins. However, certain factors may endanger you from getting varicose veins. The following are some of the risk factors for varicose veins.
- Pregnancies- a large number of people that get varicose veins are pregnant women. If you are pregnant and develop any symptoms for varicose veins, consult a varicose veins specialist.
- Obesity- obesity is linked with high cholesterol in the body. Cholesterol may cause blockage of veins causing varicose veins. Moreover, the added weight places the lower body under a lot of pressure.
- Leg injuries- If you get a serious leg injury, do not ignore it. Get the leg checked, get medication to avoid getting varicose veins.
- Being female- The female gender has the highest number of varicose veins causes.
Treatment of Varicose veins
- Vein stripping- The varicose veins specialized removes the veins to stop the condition.
- Leg Elevation- A doctor may advise you to be elevating your legs for several minutes, three to four times a day. Elevating your legs will reduce the blood clogged in the veins flowing back, which eventually minimizes the swelling.
- Sclerotherapy- it is a saline solution that is injected into the varicose veins. Sclerotherapy takes about three to twelve weeks to heal. The varicose veins fade away after some time when the treatment is taken.
Prevention of Varicose Veins
Prevention is the best option when dealing with varicose veins. Do the following to avoid getting varicose veins.
- Practice switching your sitting and standing position.
- Exercise regularly to avoid obesity.
- Frequently elevate your legs.
- Avoid wearing high heels.
Get Varicose Treatment Today
Save yourself the pain of having varicose veins. More than twenty-two million middle-aged women are diagnosed with varicose veins. Varicose veins are not permanent, and varicose veins can treat it following the right medication. Contact Heart Vascular and Leg Center to get the varicose veins treatment.